Tuesday 12 February 2013

Mac OS X Left Hand Mouse Right Hand Copy Paste

Keyboard copy paste for left handed mousers

The Problem :

I use my mouse with my left hand. I like to select text using the mouse and then copy/paste using the keyboard with my right hand. Using OS X this means reaching across the other side of the keyboard to hit Command+C Command+V which just dosen't work that well for me and often ends up with miss hits and frustration. In a linux/win environment the solution is to use Control+Insert Shift+Insert to get the copy paste functions within easy reach of the right hand.

The Solution :

Remap the keys in OS X so Control+Insert Shift+Insert execute a Command+C Command+V. I investigated a couple of different utilities, and have stuck with KeyRemap4MacBook


It is the most up to date remapper I could find and works well in 10.8. Follow the link above and install the app. Open the preferences for the app and find the "For PC Users" section. Check the box labelled "Use PC Style Copy/Paste #3"


Control+Insert should now execute a Command+C and Shift+Insert should now execute a Command+V!
Control+Insert should now execute a Command+C and Shift+Insert should now execute a Command+V!
Control+Insert should now execute a Command+C and Shift+Insert should now execute a Command+V!

There are loads of remappings available in the app to make things a bit more keyboard centric. 

No comments:

Post a Comment